Shout out to my southern roots fam!
I got your PE- CAN Pie, minus the side effects! (This is NC hubby approved!)👏🏼
Seriously though, this might be one of the best plant based holiday swaps we’ve done yet! (Although I was only able to wrestle away a few bites)😳🔥
• 1 unbaked vegan pie crust
• 1 1/2 cup medjool pitted dates, (about 12oz)
• 1 1/2cup 100% maple syrup
• 2tbl ground flax seeds
• 3 cup pecan halves, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF
2. In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade (or in a high speed blender), combine the dates, maple syrup, flax seeds, 1 cup of the pecans, and the salt. Process until the dates are broken down and you have a relatively smooth batter.
3. Pour 1 1/2 cup of the pecan halves into the pie crust and spread them out evenly. Pour the batter over the pecans and use a spatula to smooth it evenly.
4. Top the pecan pie filling with the remaining 1/2 cup of pecans(I like to crush them between my fingers and sprinkle them over the top so that the little pieces are evenly distributed). �
5.Bake at 350ºF for 45-60 minutes. When it’s done baking the top should look drier and the edges of the filling will be firm to a light touch.
6. Allow the pie to cool completely, for at least 2 hours! (Toss in the fridge if you need to speed it up)Slice and serve cold or at room temperature.
7. Leftover pie should be covered and refrigerated… I guess!🤷🏻♀️ (There wasn’t any leftover for me to know this! 😂)
Note: if your pie crusts are shallow, use 1/2 the ingredients and follow the same instructions with a 45 min cook time.